Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas in the Emergency Room

My family always teases me that I love to spend Christmas in the emergency room in St. George. It started 4 years ago when I went to the emergency room in St. George at 3:00 Christmas morning with what I thought was severe heartburn! What a surprise when they told me I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery. ( I had 3 gall stones and my gall bladder was about to rupture.) I talked the doctors into letting me go home to watch Dallin open his Christmas presents. After that Brandon and I went to the hospital for my surgery. This year it happened again. Dallin started complaing of a sore throat Tuesday night. I thought it was just a cold and didn't think more about it. Christmas Eve he opened his traditional Christmas jammies and went to bed. He came out a few minutes later with a rash all over his body. At first I thought it was because I didn't wash his jammies so I gave him a benadryl but then I remembered his sore throat. I looked and sure enough it was strep throat and his rash was the beginning of scarlet fever. (We have had strep enough that I know what to look for) I called my doctor in Vegas hoping they would tell me that he would be okay for a few days but no such luck...we needed to go to the hospital right away. I decied we should take Megan too even though she wasn't showing signs yet but I knew if we didn't get her medicine then we would be back at the hospital the next day. Poor Dallin was so drugged up on Benedryl he just wanted to sleep the whole time. Megan thought it was the best place she had ever been and loved playing with everything and all the attention she was getting from the nurses. I was surprised that she stayed up until we left the hospital at 2:00 in the morning!! Thankfully, Santa had come while were were away and we were able to fall into bed. Our family was nice and let us sleep in and did not wake us up at the scheduled 6:00am. Despite all this it was a fun Christmas and the kids loved what Santa brought them. I just hope going to the emergency room doesn't become a tradition for us! Megan on her new Trike.

I tried to get a shot of her Christmas jammies. This was the best I got.

Dallin in his new Venom jammies


the Christmas loot



Dallin and his cousin Ryan

Lovin' just about anything Star Wars!


Megan got a baby set and a new trike from Santa



Dallin got me this necklace from his Santa workshop at school. He is such a sweet boy and I love it!!



He got his daddy a #1 dad MVP baseball trophy


Megan and her new vacuum. (I hope she likes to vacuum this much when she is really old enough to do it!)


Megan got a whole box of princess dress up costumes. So cute!


1 comment:

Amanda said...

WOW! Unusual Christmas traditions in your family... haha. I'm only kidding... I'm so sorry to hear about your crazy night, but grateful that everyone is safe and returning back to good health...

It's fun to see the pictures of the kids with their 'loot'... we got your Christmas card in the mail... Thank you! First thing i said was... "Wow, Lisa's hair looks GREAT!" (not that it doesn't always look great... it's just a great picture of you!) and then Justin said... "You know she went to school for that, right?" I just thought that was cool... I'm learning so much about you guys!! It's fun to keep in touch with blogging.

oh. ps. We didn't do a christmas card this year... but i'm writing a 2008 'review' I'll post it soon on our blog!

whoa. this is a long comment. sorry. :)