When my 5 minutes was about up my phone rang with a number I didn't recognize. To make a long story short it was another officer who told me that Brandon had been in a serious accident and I needed to get to the hospital. He assured me that Brandon and Joe were alert and talking but nobody was sure of their injuries. I managed to ask him what happened and this is the gist of the story....a drunk driver was driving south in the northbound lanes of I-15. Brandon came up over a little hill the same time she did, the only thing he could do was to swerve. He hit an embankment and rolled the car a few times. The drunk driver was not hit and continued driving. Thankfully, a nurse and a retired EMT stopped to help them. The drunk driver was eventually caught (after she almost hit an NHP officer who was responding to the call). She was 3 times over the legal limit and had drugs in her system.
It was a long drive to the hospital that night but this is when living with the in-laws really came in handy. Becky watched the kids and Terry offered to drive me in. Brandon had to get stitches in his head and broke his wrist. He had to have surgery on it last Thurs. They put a screw in it. He is healing really well. Joe broke his C7 vertebrae, compressed a disk in his back, and has major road rash on his hands. The spinal surgeon says his neck will not require surgery to heal but he does have to be in a neck brace for 3 months. He was in the hospital for awhile but is home now. They are very blessed that their injuries were not more severe.
There are so many things that I am so thankful for. Of course that Brandon and Joe are going to heal and make a full recovery. This alone is a tender mercy that Heavenly Father has given to me. After we went to see the car at the wreck yard this was especially clear to me. THEY ARE LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!! I am so thankful for the department. So many of these guys are like our brothers and took such great care of us. Many responded to the call and went to the hospital immediately. They lined the halls when they brought Brandon and Joe in. They called me and kept me up to date until I got to the hospital and stayed there with us on their own time until about 5:00am. Their concern and love were sincere and I will forever be grateful to them!! 
We had a WONDERFUL dinner brought to us by some great friends all the way from Vegas. Another friend came to the hospital and took me out to lunch and sat with me while Brandon was having his wrist surgery. We have had countless phone calls and so many people have been so supportive. The Sheriff even sent some cookies!! But most of all I am so grateful that my husband is still here to be a best friend to me and a father to my children. This Christmas season will be a little sweeter for me and I received the BEST present I could ever ask for!!

3 comments:
Lisa, your tender description of this event touched me as I read it. I am SOOOO glad that Brandon came out with such minor injuries! We wish him and Joe a complete recovery.
Hearing the story reminded me of a rainy night in Ponta Delgada when Brandon and I were headed home to our apartment... perhaps he has told you the story? Whether he has or not, I'm going to right now!
I'm pretty sure I was driving. We were on a classic Portuguese cobblestone road with absolutely no street lights. We were still fairly new to the area and therefore not super familiar with the streets.
Anyhoo, yours truly was driving (as I recall), and we went into a right-hand curve that was a lot sharper than I had anticipated. Our little maroon Renault Clio began to fishtail just as an approaching car was coming in our direction!
Somehow my response was automatic to steer into the skid. But I swear our inertia was too great to be able to pull out of the skid the way we did--without divine help. Nevertheless, just as quickly as we found ourselves in those dire straits, we were again cruising along the street safe and sound, almost as if we had both imagined it.
Immediately grateful, I can remember part of D&C 84:88 coming straight into my mind that says, "I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."
I have no doubt that because we were on the Lord's errand that night and striving to living right, His angels protected us. I also have no doubt that Brandon, the stalwart and righteous man that he is, probably had those very same angels protecting him on that early Sunday morning not quite two weeks ago!
Again, we are so glad he is safe and for the blessings you have and are so grateful for.
Enjoy your holidays together!
Justin
My goodness, what a blessing that your husband and his buddy are okay. Unbelievable. That lady needs to rot in jail. I wish him a speedy recovery and I promise I won't be calling and waking him again...since I now know that Logandale is in NV (and not in Utah and an hour ahead). Get well soon Brandon!
I heard about the accident from a friend of Cheryls...but I didn't know that it was Brandon with him until Friday. Oh! I am so sorry. What stress...but thankful that everything is okay.
Post a Comment